Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The New Cake Boss!

Have I told you that I started taking a cake decorating class? Well, I did, 3 weeks ago, at Hobby Lobby. I signed up for a Wilton Decorating Class so I could attempt to make Gavin's 1st Birthday Cake. Plus, I figured, once we moved, it might be a good idea for me to have a few extra hobbies to keep myself busy and entertained with.

One of my FAVORITE memories growing up was watching my mom make, bake, and decorate some AWESOME, AMAZING cakes. The best part of her making those cakes would be when she would level her cake and then mix some of the excess cake with her homemade Butter Cream Icing and we would be allowed to snack on it! Yummy- it was delicious. Of course, I learned how to make the famous Butter cream Icing and it brings back MANY memories from when I was a kid!
***Side Note: A few weeks ago Brooks was helping me make some of that icing, which I doubled the recipe. Well, let's just say my $30.00 mixer did not appreciate all the Crisco and powdered sugar, so it took us multiple rounds just to make 3 cups of icing. So, for yesterdays icing making I borrowed a state of the art Kitchen Aid mixer from a friend and it took us 10 minutes to make 6 cups-- we were in shock! It was one of the those things I explained to Brooks that when you pay a "little" more the quality is much better! He agreed too!

Last night we had Lesson #3 from the Wilton Cake Decorating Class for Course #1 and I learned how to make various shapes- the shells (which the instructor was very complimentary of how well mine turned out (check out the bottom rim of the cake)). I also learned how to make star flowers (these are the green icing on top of the cake- but please note, half way through I realized one of my stems was not coming out & part of my icing tip was blocked with paper). We were taught how to make swirl flowers (not shown on the cake) as well as large dots (the pink dots on the top layer of the cake). We practiced making clowns, which I made on my practice board, but didn't have a clown head topper, so I chose to complete a Wilton Rose (I made 3 of them on top of the cake.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed last nights cake class and was so proud to come home with a decorated cake. My classmates really liked my color choices and wanted to know how I made my pink icing (my secret: it was red coloring, I just stopped coloring before the icing turned red).

Voila! The Cake Boss has nothing on me!
Brooks and I are so proud of this cake, we haven't even taken a bite out of it. We don't want to ruin it! I'm sure by the end of the day that will change.

PS: Gavin is playing on the floor beside me and just found his shadow. It is waving to it and patting it. Every time he moves, his shadow moves, and he follows it. It's the cutes thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay- that looks so good, why don't you go ahead and mail me some cake.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...