Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rodeo Round Up

The Houston Livestock Rodeo is in town so we have been taking advantage of having it here.  Last weekend, they had a parade to start off the festivities, so we took Gavin to see the horses and he was sooooo excited to watch them.  This past weekend, we went to the actual Rodeo, walked around, and enjoyed all the activities.  Brooks' mom (Grammy) was in town so we got to spend some time with her.  

At the parade, Gavin sat on Brooks' shoulders so he could see everything.  He would point every time he saw horses coming.  


We got Gavin a rodeo "outfit" and he looked so handsome in it.  Kimmie (my mom) got Gavin these boots at Christmas time and they finally fit him.  Just in time.  I found this shirt at Target and couldn't pass it up.  I went ahead and bought him some dark colored blue jeans just for the heck of it.  The wind was blowing bad and the weather was cool so we tried a hat on Gavin to see if he would wear it and he did!  He actually kept the hat on all night! 


We found a petting zoo at the Rodeo filled with pigs, goats, sheep, lamma's, deers, kangaroos, etc.  Gavin was skeptical at first.... he stood really close to us and wouldn't move around a lot.  It took him a while to be willing to pet the animals, but once he realized it was okay, he touched more of them.    


Brooks and I found a tent that was having a mutt-bustin competition (where little kids ride sheep) and Gavin found this tractor.  He decided he wasn't interested in the sheep, but rather wanted to ride this.  Grammy took him to the tractor and he "drove" it for a while.  He touched every button, pulled every knob, and turned that steering wheel over and over.  Saying he loved it would be an understatement.  


Okay, so the big event from the rodeo was Gavin taking a ride on his FIRST EVER "roller coaster", or carnival ride.  I don't really know what to call it.  By no means was Gavin tall enough to ride this ride, but Brooks insisted on us trying, the worker let Gavin in, and we found this airplane that had a single seat, and we strapped him in.  The fact that there was a wheel for him to turn kept his attention on not realizing that mommy and daddy weren't in the plane with him.  The kid behind him came up right before the ride began so he kept Gavin company.  Actually, once the ride started, Gavin kept turning around to turn the other kids steering wheel.  It was cute.  Now, it's important for you to know that I was a NERVOUS wreck.... Brooks' mom and I kept telling Brooks that we did NOT think this was a good idea, but Brooks told us to trust him and let Gavin try it.  So, the ride started and Gavin's airplane went up and down, up and down.  He was so excited to be flying.  I eventually calmed down when I saw how much fun he was having and in my heart, I realized that my little boy is growing up.  Since Gavin loved this ride so much, we went and got a few more tickets to let him try some other ones.  We found a car ride that bounced up and down (I got to ride that one with him).  It wasn't his favorite, so we went back to this ride and let him have a few more runs with it.  


We went inside and walked around and watched some of the livestock show.  They had cows EVERYWHERE.  We passed by some owners of these Bahamian cows (I don't remember what kind they were, just that they started with a "B" and I called them Bahama cows), and they asked if we wanted to SIT on their cow... yes, SIT on the cow.  We said sure and took this opportunity for a family pic!  Gavin had some reservations so this isn't our best picture, but it shows our time at the Rodeo.  


YEEHAW!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...