Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer 2011: Houston

Another part of our vacation was spent back in our old stomping grounds of Houston.  My mom came and spent the week with me and the boys while we were visiting friends and running around.   We got together with friends and I so wish I would have taken pictures of all the people we had lunch and dinner with or our friends' who had a newborn baby that we got to meet.   Ugh- next time I'll do much better.  I miss all our friends and am so grateful that we get the chance to spend some time with them when we're home.  
My teacher coworkers- the only pic I have of friends I visited

I went to our church, CCCC, to pick up some resources to bring back with us and got to see a ton of people- staff members, pastors, and volunteers I use to serve with.  It was great seeing familiar faces and hearing how many people are praying for us while we're here.  I can only hope and pray that if we end up somewhere other then the Clear Lake Area when we return from international assignment, that we can find a church just as wonderful as CCCC has been.  

I also took advantage of all the fun activities Houston offers and was focused on giving Gavin as many fun, life experiences as possible.  Therefore, one day, we went to the Houston Zoo.  My sister in law, Anna, and her two kids were going to Houston that same week and decided to come and meet up with us and play around town.  We had a blast!  

We saw lots of animals at the zoo.  I must say I was quite impressed with how many of the animals were actually out even as hot as it was.  Gavin and David ran from one pen to the next and were mesmerized with all the different animals and what they were doing!  I don't which was Gavin's favorite part of the Zoo-- the petting zoo part or the carousel.  He talked about both those activities for DAYS!!!!  

 
 

I wanted a Sprinkles cupcake and was determined to get one while we were downtown.  Mine was delicious!  Gavin... well, he wasn't as impressed.  So, I ate some of his, too.  It was delicious, too!

Another day, we drove down to Galveston and went to Moody Gardens and visited the Aquarium.  Gavin was in HEAVEN!  He loves animals, but is fascinated with those that are in water.  Not sure if it's because he's been to and seen various Aquariums that he understands what the animals are doing and which ones are which or what.  Either way, aquariums keep his attention and he's always looking for a new "fishie" that he's never seen.

My mom was a HUGE help on our trip!
checking out the penguins 
inside a shark cage
Miles kept his eyes on the sharks


After our fun morning at the Aquarium, we went and had lunch at Rain Forest Cafe and celebrated Gavin's birthday that was a week away.  Gavin and David and even Audrey and Miles were intrigued with all the sounds and commotion that kept taking place when the volcano would errupt and the dozens of gorillas that surrounded us would all of a sudden wake up and start shaking their bodies.  It was a fun lunch.  I ran into a friend from high school, Kate, who's expecting her 3rd child, too.  It was wonderful to see her and such a God thing that we ran into each other.  She is such an encourager!  Love ya, Kate.  My favorite part of the lunch was watching Gavin and Miles face when the volcano dessert came out for Gavin!  It was priceless.    


We also did some shopping while we were in Houston and ate at all my favorite restaurants.  I miss Houston a ton and enjoy getting to spend time there while we're back in the states.  We loved spending the week with my mom and having her company and her help!  It was great getting to spend some unexpected time with my SIL, niece and nephew, too.    Can't wait to go back!!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...