The title of my post says All in a Day's Work, but I actually meant to write All in a Week's Work. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen this week making icing, baking cakes, and experimenting with fondant (I tried making my own- it was an interesting process and one that I plan on learning more about in the days to come). I actually have 4 cakes scheduled from now until the middle of April (two of which are commissioned) so if you need me I'll be in the kitchen!
Have you heard about a Cricut Machine? It's an electronic machine that allows you to cut out words, letters, designs, images, etc from scrapbook paper to use instead of stickers. It's really neat and has a lot of potential to make some really cool things. It doesn't have to be used just for scrapbook pages, as I'll show you in a future post. Anyways, Cricut, is coming out with a machine called Cricut Cake. I've been really interested in seeing how it's used and what it can produce on cakes and I've been very impressed with it's capabilities. I'm not very good with hand work, so the idea that a machine can cut out words and designs for me.... YES, please! I'll take it. The only problem is it's like $500 and since I'm NOT planning on opening up a shop, I don't think I'll be pre-ordering one. However, I recently learned that the Cricut Machine I have has the ability to cut gum paste and fondant using a different blade and tweaking a cutting mat. I'm sooooo wanting to try it out on my machine and have been doing a lot of research about it. I'm in the process of getting some needed supplies to try it out! I just have to decide if I'm willing to take off a few rollers from my Cricut and I'm not quite sure I'm willing to do that. We will see though.
To get back to what I did this week, sorry,....
I had a meeting on Monday for just the wives going overseas so I decided to make a cake for the event! I didn't tell anyone I was bringing it so all the women were surprised! It was a fun cake for me to make and it was my first sheet cake... isn't that odd?
I also made Brooks his own personal cake for his birthday. Out of all the things I could have done, he wanted a white cake, with white icing for the borders, and the base to be teal. Random, but it's what he wanted so that's what he got!
However, since we were having a birthday party with our friends I got to make another cake! I wanted to make a more elaborate cake so I decided to try out carving a shaped cake. Brooks always wears ties to work. Everyday, no matter what, he has a tie on. NO ONE in his office wears ties. At several company meetings that I've attended, many of the men have commented on Brooks' ties! So, for his birthday, I made him a neck tie cake! I picked out one of his favorite ties and recreated the cake to copy the tie! I think it turned out cute!
Here's the tie I used... what do you think?


1 comment:
Love it! Lindsey you are awesome. I am so impressed.
Post a Comment