2 years
24 months
730 days
1,051,200 minutes
That's how long we've lived in Saudi.
August 8, 2012 was our 2 year Saudiversary. Can you believe we've already lived here 2 years? It's crazy how time flies.
I never wrote/blogged about our first year Saudiversary last year. For some reason, I never had the words to put into writing my feelings about living here at that point. Things were fine, I think I was just in a strange place and wasn't ready to get into it. I wish I could go back and write about it, but instead, I'll just share my feelings on being here for 2 years.
I remember like it was yesterday, when Brooks walked into our kitchen and said, "Hey babe, there's a chance we could move to Saudi, would you want to go?" And all I could do was laugh at him and thought nothing of it.
I also remember sitting at Cracker Barrell in Baytown, TX, 5 months pregnant, on a Monday evening after attending an informational meeting at CP Chem regarding the project in Saudi. I cried the entire meal. I was so over whelmed with emotions and feelings that we were actually going to do this. It was there that I told Brooks I married him and loved him more then anything and would move anywhere in this world if it meant to be with him and support him in what he does!!
Two years after that conversation we packed our house up and boarded a plane and began our adventure as a family of 3 and added two bundles of joy since then. A lot has changed since we moved to this side of the world (not just having more kids) and I can honestly say that I'm grateful we did this.
Our lives have been blessed in many, many ways and we've grown in various aspects. Brooks and I have been stretched, but ultimately, our marriage has been strengthened! We've grown closer to the Lord and have appreciated God's blessings for our obedience in staying united together during this move, transition time, and journey.
We've had to adapt and adjust to new schedules, long work hours, life in a foreign, Islamic, Middle Eastern country, which brings it's own issues. With all the changes and "new normals" that have been brought into our lives, we've made it all work and established our family life here and all is well!
We're doing really good. We have great friends who we love and appreciate dearly. We are apart of a community who encourages one another and provides constant support and who ultimately has become like family. We've been given the chance to have a life here pursing personal interests just like if we were at home. We actually feel that we've gotten to do more things living here IN SOME ASPECTS then if we were at home. However, we also realize what we are missing out on things not living in the comfort of the USA. Yet, when you make this move, you really have to change your mentality and perspective on things and truly hold on to what you have gained, versus what you are missing out on.
I feel like I've learned some major life lessons since making this move and living here for two years such as:
- NEVER SAY NEVER (although, I did just tell Brooks I'll never move to China)
- don't let the fear of the unknown stop you from doing something
- you'll never know unless you try
- there's no use in fighting or fretting over something you have no control of
- appreciate and be grateful for the people in your life
- don't let your circumstances dictate your life (easier said then done, but you can make the most of tough situations)
I'm grateful for learning these life lessons and hope that I will hold on to them for the rest of my life regardless of where I live.
I mentioned above how part of this move did bring on an aspect of "missing out on things" and that has been an adjustment and has brought on some heartache for us, our family, and even close friends. Life has changed for us. Life has changed for everyone else. Sacrifices have been made. Adjustments were made. That has been a difficult process of our move and there's no easy way to get around it. I just keep telling myself that this is such a short season in our life and hopefully once we move back home and transition, those areas will all work them selves back out and no one will have to hold onto what they have missed out on, including us!
So, there you go. Two years in Saudi. WOW!! Who knows what the future holds and how much longer we'll be here, but I do know that we'll enjoy our time here in the Kingdom, we'll make the most of our visits home, we'll take advantage of living here and travel this side of the world, we'll prepare for moving on to another project some day, and we'll go through another cycle of adjustments, transitions, and new journeys!
Blessings to you all no matter where you are or what your circumstances are!
24 months
730 days
1,051,200 minutes
That's how long we've lived in Saudi.
August 8, 2012 was our 2 year Saudiversary. Can you believe we've already lived here 2 years? It's crazy how time flies.
I never wrote/blogged about our first year Saudiversary last year. For some reason, I never had the words to put into writing my feelings about living here at that point. Things were fine, I think I was just in a strange place and wasn't ready to get into it. I wish I could go back and write about it, but instead, I'll just share my feelings on being here for 2 years.
I remember like it was yesterday, when Brooks walked into our kitchen and said, "Hey babe, there's a chance we could move to Saudi, would you want to go?" And all I could do was laugh at him and thought nothing of it.
I also remember sitting at Cracker Barrell in Baytown, TX, 5 months pregnant, on a Monday evening after attending an informational meeting at CP Chem regarding the project in Saudi. I cried the entire meal. I was so over whelmed with emotions and feelings that we were actually going to do this. It was there that I told Brooks I married him and loved him more then anything and would move anywhere in this world if it meant to be with him and support him in what he does!!
Two years after that conversation we packed our house up and boarded a plane and began our adventure as a family of 3 and added two bundles of joy since then. A lot has changed since we moved to this side of the world (not just having more kids) and I can honestly say that I'm grateful we did this.
Our lives have been blessed in many, many ways and we've grown in various aspects. Brooks and I have been stretched, but ultimately, our marriage has been strengthened! We've grown closer to the Lord and have appreciated God's blessings for our obedience in staying united together during this move, transition time, and journey.
We've had to adapt and adjust to new schedules, long work hours, life in a foreign, Islamic, Middle Eastern country, which brings it's own issues. With all the changes and "new normals" that have been brought into our lives, we've made it all work and established our family life here and all is well!
We're doing really good. We have great friends who we love and appreciate dearly. We are apart of a community who encourages one another and provides constant support and who ultimately has become like family. We've been given the chance to have a life here pursing personal interests just like if we were at home. We actually feel that we've gotten to do more things living here IN SOME ASPECTS then if we were at home. However, we also realize what we are missing out on things not living in the comfort of the USA. Yet, when you make this move, you really have to change your mentality and perspective on things and truly hold on to what you have gained, versus what you are missing out on.
I feel like I've learned some major life lessons since making this move and living here for two years such as:
- NEVER SAY NEVER (although, I did just tell Brooks I'll never move to China)
- don't let the fear of the unknown stop you from doing something
- you'll never know unless you try
- there's no use in fighting or fretting over something you have no control of
- appreciate and be grateful for the people in your life
- don't let your circumstances dictate your life (easier said then done, but you can make the most of tough situations)
I'm grateful for learning these life lessons and hope that I will hold on to them for the rest of my life regardless of where I live.
I mentioned above how part of this move did bring on an aspect of "missing out on things" and that has been an adjustment and has brought on some heartache for us, our family, and even close friends. Life has changed for us. Life has changed for everyone else. Sacrifices have been made. Adjustments were made. That has been a difficult process of our move and there's no easy way to get around it. I just keep telling myself that this is such a short season in our life and hopefully once we move back home and transition, those areas will all work them selves back out and no one will have to hold onto what they have missed out on, including us!
So, there you go. Two years in Saudi. WOW!! Who knows what the future holds and how much longer we'll be here, but I do know that we'll enjoy our time here in the Kingdom, we'll make the most of our visits home, we'll take advantage of living here and travel this side of the world, we'll prepare for moving on to another project some day, and we'll go through another cycle of adjustments, transitions, and new journeys!
Blessings to you all no matter where you are or what your circumstances are!

No comments:
Post a Comment